Sunday 9 January 2011

History Network Ancient Warfare Magazine - Darkness Descends



Straight military history is a bit like jazz.  A lot of people like it, and like it a lot.  But it tends to leave most people a bit cold.
 The analogy is really close in my case.  I dislike most jazz, but there is the odd bit that takes my fancy and which I really enjoy.   When it comes to the History Network's Ancient Warfare Magazine podcasts I find that most of the time I can't listen all the way through.  I respect and appreciate the scholarship and the skill that goes into them much as I can recognise the technical skill and passion of great jazz musicians.  I just don't want the stuff actually going in my ears.

But I often dip into this series and from time to time there is a gem.  The discussion of the end of the very early Bronze Age empires is one such.  This is an intriguing glance into a time we know tantalisingly little about.  Empires across the Mediterranean world were simultaneously assailed by a mysterious Sea People.

To find out more you will have to look down the list of podcasts on the link below and pick out the one called Darkness Descends.  I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.thehistorynetwork.org/TheHistoryNetwork/Ancient_Warfare_Magazine.html

Discuss this and other history podcasts on the history podcast forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment